Caring for Cast Iron Skillets
For the longest time, I struggled with caring for and using Cast Iron Skillets. The truth is, if you treat them properly, they’re extremely easy to Season and Clean for decades.
- Don’t clean with soap/water
- Don’t let water/liquid sit in it to “soak”, it will rust
- Cast Iron Skillets stay hot for a LONG time, always use a hot pad
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Wash the skillet with Soap and Water (This is the only time this is okay)
- Dry thoroughly
- Pour some olive oil in the pan, cover all surfaces. I use a paper towel to help distribute the oil.
- Place in oven for 1 Hour
- Turn oven off, let cool to room temperature
- Do it again. Some people only do this process once, I find it’s worth the extra effort to clean it twice.
- While it is still hot, add hot water to the skillet. Using tongs and a brush, scrub.
- If there are stubborn bits, use kosher salt and water, then scrub.
- Dry thoroughly.